instantaneous rates

Discussion of Pricing, hedging and Trading Financial Instruments
Forum rules
DISCLAIMER: We do not warrant or represent that this forum or its content is free of viruses, worms or other code that might be contaminating or destructive. We cannot guarantee that documents or files downloaded from the Site will be free from viruses and we do not accept any responsibility for any damage or loss caused by any virus. Accordingly, for your own protection, you must use virus-checking software when using the forum. You must not post or provide to us via the forum, any document or file which you believe may contain a virus. You must virus check any document or file which you intend to post or provide to us via the forum. You must ensure that any document or file you intend to post to the forum does not contravene any applicable laws or contravene any person's legal rights. We do not accept any responsibility for any damage or loss you may suffer.
pwyborn

instantaneous rates

Postby pwyborn » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:15 pm

Hi Carol,

For III.3.90, i would like to ask why we take expectation?

Thank you!

Pete
l

coalexander

Re: instantaneous rates

Postby coalexander » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:23 pm

Hi Pete, Without taking an expectation the r.h.s. is a distribution, whist the l.h.s. is a single number. Cheers, and happy new year, Carol

pwyborn

Postby pwyborn » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:54 pm

Thanks Carol. And happy new year to you too!

Is it just a fact that we can determine a spot interest rate of any maturity from the current instantaneous short rate and all the successive instantaneous short rates leading up to the time of maturity of the spot interest rate we are trying to determine?

Section III.3.8.4 is all about short rate models in the context of spot rates. But the next section III.3.8.5 switched gears to forward rate model. So I am a bit confused - when we do interest rate modelling for pricing and hedging interest rate options purposes, which interest rate are we modelling - spot or forward??

When we model a set of forward rates, from III.3.8.5 denotation of the forward rate, it seems that all these forward rates we are trying to model share the same tenor i.e. from t(i) to t(i+1), but different terms as i is from 1 to n. But, arent we supposed to do it the other way round i.e. model the forward rates with the same term, but different tenors? This way, we are modelling the future term structure of spot interest rates prevailing at a future time t, for example.

Each forward rate has its own natural measure, with numeraire being the value of a zero coupon bond. So, is it the case that when we change this numeraire to discretely reinvested money market account, two things happen - first, all forward rates share the same measure called the spot LIBOR measure; second, this measure has a drift term punched in??

What is the second equation in III.3.92? What is the index of the accrual period as in III.3.93?

Sorry for these numerous questions. I found these couple of sections quite technical, but nonethless enjoyable.

Sincerely hope you can help or shed some light!

Pete
l

pwyborn

Postby pwyborn » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:32 pm

Hi Prof. Carol,

Would you take a look at my post please? I know you are very busy leading the sussex business school there. But if you ever have a moment to give me a reply, I'd be so grateful!

Look forward to hearing from you!

Pete
l

Return to “Volume III”