weakness of bootstrapping

Discussion of Pricing, hedging and Trading Financial Instruments
Forum rules
DISCLAIMER: We do not warrant or represent that this forum or its content is free of viruses, worms or other code that might be contaminating or destructive. We cannot guarantee that documents or files downloaded from the Site will be free from viruses and we do not accept any responsibility for any damage or loss caused by any virus. Accordingly, for your own protection, you must use virus-checking software when using the forum. You must not post or provide to us via the forum, any document or file which you believe may contain a virus. You must virus check any document or file which you intend to post or provide to us via the forum. You must ensure that any document or file you intend to post to the forum does not contravene any applicable laws or contravene any person's legal rights. We do not accept any responsibility for any damage or loss you may suffer.
risk taker

weakness of bootstrapping

Postby risk taker » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:22 am

Hi Professor,

In the yield curve fitting section, it is said that a small amount of noise in the market prices of calibration securities could result in large spikes in the forward curve, especically at longer maturities. I have 2 questions.

1. how do you define what noise is?
2. intuitively speaking, how should I understand the large spike effects??

Thanks so much!

risk taker

coalexander

Re: weakness of bootstrapping

Postby coalexander » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:18 pm

How about banks 'fixing' money market quotes, for example, ha ha!

In general, market prices should be based on a minimum traded amount, but when trades are on small amounts they could be out of line (maybe fixed with personal deals, or as per the LIBOR fixing problem surfacing now) so that you have several instruments will approximately the same rates and outlier(s) which are far above or below.

Spikes occur when you get forward curves that don;t behave with a smooth (often hockey-stick-shaped) curve, but have an anomaly at one specific maturity.

Hope this is sufficient to answer your questions, Carol

risk taker

Postby risk taker » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:39 am

Hi Carol,

thank you hugely for helping me understand. I got the spikes question. But I dont quite follow the second paragraph. What do you mean by market prices should be based on minimum amount? And why when trades are on small amounts, the market prices could be out of line??

Thanks again!

risk taker
P.S I have a question about basis spline in the yield curve section, but i shall post it in a seperate thread!

coalexander

Postby coalexander » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:52 am

Banks can manipulate yield curves by making trades based on small amounts, on which they take a loss. Still a market rate at that quote is recorded. Banks can benefit by manipulating interest rates, as we know from the LIBOR scandal. Clear now?

risk taker

Postby risk taker » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:07 am

Yes! Absolutely clear now! Thank you!!!

Return to “Volume III”