assumption of value duration of bond portfolio

Discussion of Pricing, hedging and Trading Financial Instruments
Forum rules
DISCLAIMER: We do not warrant or represent that this forum or its content is free of viruses, worms or other code that might be contaminating or destructive. We cannot guarantee that documents or files downloaded from the Site will be free from viruses and we do not accept any responsibility for any damage or loss caused by any virus. Accordingly, for your own protection, you must use virus-checking software when using the forum. You must not post or provide to us via the forum, any document or file which you believe may contain a virus. You must virus check any document or file which you intend to post or provide to us via the forum. You must ensure that any document or file you intend to post to the forum does not contravene any applicable laws or contravene any person's legal rights. We do not accept any responsibility for any damage or loss you may suffer.
Dan

assumption of value duration of bond portfolio

Postby Dan » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:17 am

Hi Carol,

As you said in the book, bond traders typically use taylor expansion to approximate the effect of a change in market interest rates on their bond portfolio P&L. And to use this, the traders must assume that all the bond yields change by the same amount when the zero curve shifts parrallel. I'm not clear as to what is THE zero curve you are refering to here. Shouldnt there be multiple relevent zero curves for a bond portfolio which contains bonds of different credit ratings.

Thanks Carol.

Dan

coalexander

Re: assumption of value duration of bond portfolio

Postby coalexander » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:58 am

Yes, that's true. So bond portfolios are typically categorized according to some rating 'bucket' BBB, and the BBB zero curve is used.

Cheers, Carol

Dan

Postby Dan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:04 pm

So typically we use a representative credit rating for the bond portfolio as a whole and the corresponding zero curve for that credit rating. Usually BBB zero curve is used. Is this what you meant?

coalexander

Postby coalexander » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:18 pm

Yes, but not usually BBB. Separate portfolios, from AAA down to sub-investment grade...

Dan

Postby Dan » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:06 am

Hi Carol,

Just to make sure i totally understand this, so if a bond portfolio contains bonds of multiple credit ratings, as you suggested, we choose a representative credit rating for this overall portfolio -- this representative credit rating could be anything on the credit spectrum i.e. AAA to junks. Is this correct?

Secondly, in Peter's thread entitled PV01 in vol.3 forum, he asked about which zero curve to use when calculating PV01 for a bond portfolio of different credit ratings. In your reply, you mentioned about base curve plus spread curves.

So for my question in my first post under this thread, I wonder whether this zero curve refers to the base curve. If the base curve shifts parralle, then for traders to use taylor approximation for portfolio P&L, they must assume that this parralle shift of the base curve would induce the same amount of yield changes on ALL bonds in the portfolio.

I just haven't come across this concept of "representative credit rating for a bond portfolio" and then I read peter's thread and found the base curve explanation given above seems to make sense to me. I'm just somewhat confused.

If you could help clarify, that'd be superb!

Many thanks always,

Dan

coalexander

Postby coalexander » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:31 pm

Hi Dan

Yes, your first statement is correct.

The base curve is usually LIBOR or Bank of England zero curve for government inter-bank lending [see websites I refer to in the book), where the curve can be easily interpolated fairly accurately -- at least, given accurate LIBOR rates, ha ha.

The credit curves have fewer instruments, especially at lower credit ratings, and some maturities may be missing. Also historical data is not so easily obtained. So usually we take historical moves on the base (can be parallel, or based on principal component analysis) and represent shifts on the other credit rated curves relative to this, given whatever spread data at different maturities is available.

Cheers, Carol

ninjapunit

Postby ninjapunit » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:43 am

"at least, given accurate LIBOR rates" ....Hahaha...good one Carol!

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:11 am

Hi Carol,

Many thanks for the explanation. I am clearer now.

Dan

Return to “Volume III”