Immunization with IRS (floater)

Discussion on Practical Financial Econometrics
Forum rules
DISCLAIMER: We do not warrant or represent that this forum or its content is free of viruses, worms or other code that might be contaminating or destructive. We cannot guarantee that documents or files downloaded from the Site will be free from viruses and we do not accept any responsibility for any damage or loss caused by any virus. Accordingly, for your own protection, you must use virus-checking software when using the forum. You must not post or provide to us via the forum, any document or file which you believe may contain a virus. You must virus check any document or file which you intend to post or provide to us via the forum. You must ensure that any document or file you intend to post to the forum does not contravene any applicable laws or contravene any person's legal rights. We do not accept any responsibility for any damage or loss you may suffer.
TRAXX

Immunization with IRS (floater)

Postby TRAXX » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:35 pm

Dear professor,
I have a question from the polish version of CFA exam. There was one strange question about immunization strategy. There was a 10-year zerocoupon bond, with flat spot rate curve which equals 5,5%. Face value of the bond has been given, and in exercise we ought to immunize this bond, but when bond will be 7 years to maturity (so immunize in three years). The only instrument which we can use is Interest Rate Swap of WIBOR 3m (Warsaw Interbank Offered Rate 3 months). The question in exercise was 'WHAT AMOUNT OF FACE VALUE SHOULD THIS IRS HAVE?' How can I properly solve this exercise?

I executed present value of 7-year bond, and then I assumed that swap can be valuated as bond, so IRS can be valued as a floater. Floater after interests payment has present value equal to his face value and the duration of floater is equal to maturity to next interest payment (which equals to 3 months = 0,25 of year). Duration of the zerocoupon bond equals to their time to maturity, which was 7 years in three years. So... I just divided present value of the 7-year zerocoupon bond by 0,25 (which was duration of floater) and then I assumed it is equal to the face IRS value (it was my answer). What are you thoughts about this?

Thank you vey much in advance.

Best regards
TRAXX

Return to “Volume II”