Time-series Regression

Discussion on Quantitative Methods in Finance
Forum rules
DISCLAIMER: We do not warrant or represent that this forum or its content is free of viruses, worms or other code that might be contaminating or destructive. We cannot guarantee that documents or files downloaded from the Site will be free from viruses and we do not accept any responsibility for any damage or loss caused by any virus. Accordingly, for your own protection, you must use virus-checking software when using the forum. You must not post or provide to us via the forum, any document or file which you believe may contain a virus. You must virus check any document or file which you intend to post or provide to us via the forum. You must ensure that any document or file you intend to post to the forum does not contravene any applicable laws or contravene any person's legal rights. We do not accept any responsibility for any damage or loss you may suffer.
oiac

Time-series Regression

Postby oiac » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:27 pm

Thank you for your answers to my previous (related) questions.

I am working on multivariate time series regression of daily market data.
Typically looking back 360 d.

I have tested for colinearity and use PCA where this is an issue.
I have looked for information remaining in and heteroskedasticity in the residuals
but have found no evidence of either. I have looked at forecasting error.

I run test-downs and have tried step-wise regression (using the F-stat) to select my independent data.
Typically my Rsq are low (of order 1 %) and my adjusted RSq can even be negative.

Can you make any suggestions, or give any advice, for starting out with non-linear regression
on market data? I am very wary of over-fitting but cannot believe that an RSq of approximately 1 - 3 %
is of any use and have run out of ideas other than misspecification of the model as linear.

Many thanks.

coalexander

Re: Time-series Regression

Postby coalexander » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:12 am

Hello

Sorry for delayed reply, I've been very busy recently.

Yes, R^2 are very low, that's worrying. If you can get more data that might help...360d is not much. Or, using a non-linear relationship may help...do scatter plots of Y against each X and see if there are obvious non-linear relationships.

What are pairwise correlations corr{Y,X_i}? If they are very low, maybe its the theory that is wrong -- there simply isn't a relationship between Y and these X variables anyway.

Best wishes, Carol

oiac

Postby oiac » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:12 pm

Dear Carol,
Many thanks for your very useful response.

The correlations between the independent variables and the dependent variable are low - absolute values of order 0.01 to 0.1.
In fact some correlations between the independent variables are much higher. Given this it is not surprising that I cannot
see structure in the plots of each independent variable vs the dependent.

I am surprised by this though as it is a commonly held belief in econometrics that my variables are related - perhaps not at the sampling frequency I am using.

Am I correct in assuming that if my correlations are so low that trying different non-linear regression techniques is more than likely a waste of time?

Thanks again,
Oiac

coalexander

Postby coalexander » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:11 pm

Yes, unfortunately....may getting different data (different frequency, longer period?) would help.

Carol

oiac

Postby oiac » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:53 am

Thank you for your help.
Oiac

Return to “Volume I”